The GH6

Looking forward to hearing others impressions.

It’s a little heavier than I’d like. On the plus side the grip feels good and help minimize the weight a little. Unfortunately that’s all I’ve got at the moment as a long time project screams to be finished. Once I get the camera set up I think it will be very satisfying.

My problem is it will not playback video on my Mac using .mov file. I'm waiting on 4k sd cards so this is just 1080 24p. not sure there are so many video modes. Any ideas? This file contains some media which isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player.

My problem is it will not playback video on my Mac using .mov file. I'm waiting on 4k sd cards so this is just 1080 24p. not sure there are so many video modes. Any ideas? This file contains some media which isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player.

Are they 10-bit files?

I got my old computer to work with .mov 1920x1080 29.97 420 10bit longgop. I'll try others setting . This isn't my Gj3 for sure. It's going to be a learning curve.

Haven't even hit record yet, but I did set up "my menu" and dig through menus, update lens firmware, etc. The UI is brilliant, they have the Varicam control screen as an option, all of the best UI features from S series, etc. Really great build and menus. Nothing too unexpected there but does feel like a Panasonic UI greatest hits album. Not too heavy for my taste at all, feels just right in the hand.

VFR in most of the good modes requires a CF-Express card, so I will be switching to that I suppose. Finally have a good VFR functionality back in all modes where it's possible, that hasn't been seen for a long time. The lens firmware updates add linear focus control and adjustable throw to most modern lumix lenses which is really a big deal.

I'll get around to some actual simple image/shooting tests within the next week.

Haven't even hit record yet, but I did set up "my menu" and dig through menus, update lens firmware, etc. The UI is brilliant, they have the Varicam control screen as an option, all of the best UI features from S series, etc. Really great build and menus. Nothing too unexpected there but does feel like a Panasonic UI greatest hits album. Not too heavy for my taste at all, feels just right in the hand.

VFR in most of the good modes requires a CF-Express card, so I will be switching to that I suppose. Finally have a good VFR functionality back in all modes where it's possible, that hasn't been seen for a long time. The lens firmware updates add linear focus control and adjustable throw to most modern lumix lenses which is really a big deal.

I'll get around to some actual simple image/shooting tests within the next week.

While supplies last get one free.
https://shop.panasonic.com/lumix/gh6promo

I waiting on new cards. Tried some quick 1080 HD video, and photos to make sure things are working. I'm upgrading from the GH3, so this is a huge upgrade for me.
I tried the AF a little. Seems pretty good. A lot of setting to adjust AF. One is the One Area plus setting. You can add face/eye detection etc.

I don't like the record button on the front. I keep hitting it by accident. Not sure if it can be shut off. Once I get a cage that might help.

My MacBook Pro M1 has played back everything I can record with the older cards. My 2015 MacBook Pro doesn't, just a few modes like 420 10bit 100Mbps at 24p and 30p. Maybe the newer cards will help but I plan on editing with the M1 anyway.

Last edited:
Back